Car accidents can be scary and they’re even worse when the collision was your fault. At One Law Group in Beverly Hills, we want you to realize that even if you are at fault, you should always be careful about what you say when interacting with the other driver involved. It’s important to remember to not admit you were at fault for the crash. This isn’t suggesting that you lie or withhold information on purpose, just don’t jump right into the conversation of fault at the scene, with anyone. It could be a more complicated question that you realize and at One Law Group, we are here to help you figure out the answer.
Remember, no matter how careful of a driver you are, you can be involved in a car accident at any time and it’s such a common thing to happen, don’t feel stupid! Here are some tips on what you should do to protect your rights and save yourself some hassle down the road:
- Depending on the laws in your state, call the police.
- Check for injuries on yourself and anyone else involved, just in case an ambulance is needed.
- Exchange information: phone numbers, emails, insurance information
- Get out of the way of traffic!
- Take photos of the damage to your car and the other car involved.
- Record facts about the information, including damages to the cars and comments from other drivers/witnesses
- File a report with the police or the DMV if cops are not involved
- Report all accidents to your car insurance company, regardless of who is at fault
- Stay calm and don’t yell and especially don’t start pointing fingers at people
- Don’t talk details of the accident with the other party. Hold off until you have contacted the police and your insurance company.
- Let the insurance companies to what they do best: don’t start making promises or signing statements
When you are at fault for a car accident you can face serious consequences. Personal injuries and damages to property can cost a lot. And unfortunately, if you don’t have enough insurance to cover all the costs, the other drivers may be entitled to your savings or other properties to make up the difference in what you owe them. This is why you should do your best to protect your interests. Contact the car accident injury specialists at One Law Group in Beverly Hills at (844) 626-1529. There’s no need to go through this alone.