There are few injuries as serious and unpredictable as head injuries, and they’re all too common in accidents of every kind, including traffic accidents. A traumatic brain injury can leave you with an altered sense of self, which amounts to an immense loss.
If someone else’s negligence leaves you or someone you care about with a head injury, it’s time to consult with an experienced Beverly Hills personal injury attorney about your case.
Traumatic Brain Injury Claims
To bring a successful brain injury claim, specific elements must be met:
- The at-fault party must have owed you a duty of care, which means they had a responsibility to consider your safety. For example, when you drive, you accept a duty of care for everyone else on the road, and so do other motorists.
- The at-fault party failed to live up to this duty of care, such as when a motorist speeds excessively.
- The at-fault party’s negligence was the direct cause of the accident that caused you to be injured.
- You suffered losses that the law addresses.
Types of Brain Injuries
Brain injuries come in all too many dangerous forms, including:
- Concussions, and other forms of traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), which are injuries that are generally caused by blows to the head
- Skull fractures, which refer to breaks in the skull bone that are typically caused by immense impact
- Intracranial hematomas (ICH), which refers to pooling blood within the skull that can be caused by trauma.
The most common cause of brain injuries is traffic accidents.
Seeking Fair Brain Injury Compensation
The one constant when it comes to head injuries is that they are all exceptionally dangerous, and the associated losses – or legal damages – for which you will seek compensation in your claim are likely to be immense.
Even a relatively minor head injury can lead to long-term medical needs, and while it can be difficult to predict what your future healthcare requirements will be, you can expect them to be considerable. If complications arise or your brain injury leads to secondary medical concerns, the attendant medical bills are likely to be that much more extensive.
Some of the most common medical expenses as they relate to head injuries include:
- Emergency care and transportation
- Hospitalization and extensive rehabilitation
- Surgery and follow-up care
- Physical therapy and occupational therapy
- Prescription medications
- Treatment and care from doctors, mental healthcare professionals, and other specialists
- Extensive medical treatments, procedures, and tests
- Home healthcare
- Assistance with the activities of daily living
A head injury can stop you in your tracks and, as a result, can keep you away from work for a considerable amount of time. Depending upon how serious your head injury is, your ability to earn may be affected, which can have devastating financial as well as emotional consequences.
If your ability to perform your work duties or to continue advancing your career is affected, your earning potential can be seriously damaged, which can translate to a lifetime of financial loss.
Pain and suffering
The emotional pain and suffering that generally attends head injuries can be so considerable that it is difficult to capture in words. Our brains house what makes us essentially ourselves, and even a minor tweak can prove emotionally devastating.
The psychological consequences of a head injury can take many forms, but some common examples include the following:
- Extreme mood swings that are difficult to modulate
- Sleep disturbances that can include nightmares or night terrors
- Panic attacks and other signs of increased anxiety
- Symptoms of depression
- A tendency to push others away and self-isolate
- Difficulty concentrating
- Terrifying accident flashbacks
One of the most painful aspects of head injuries is how isolating they can be – just when victims are most in need of support.
How a Head Injury Attorney Can Help
When it comes to traumatic brain injury settlements in California, it’s in your best interest to work closely with an accomplished head injury attorney who will ably address all the following important tasks:
- Gathering the relevant evidence, including eyewitness testimony, in support of your strongest claim
- Carefully assessing the matter of how much is a head injury claim worth in your unique situation, including every category of covered loss you experience
- Deftly negotiating with the involved insurance provider for a settlement that fairly meets your needs as they relate to your head injury
- Carefully preparing to file a lawsuit and seek just compensation in court if the insurance company is not interested in engaging in fair negotiations.
- Helping you move smoothly through the claims process – making the best decisions for you along the way
Discuss Your Claim with an Experienced California Head Injury Attorney Today
A head injury can upend your life in ways that are difficult to predict and difficult to overcome. Because obtaining the compensation to which you are entitled is paramount, the passionate Beverly Hills head injury attorneys at One Law Group are standing by to help. Our dedicated legal team is on your side.
Contact our firm online or call us at 310-923-9420 for more information about starting your case today.
Head Injury Case FAQs
How do I know if I have a viable head injury claim?
Reaching out to an experienced California head injury attorney is the best means of determining if your situation calls for filing a head injury claim.
Am I required to have an attorney?
Obtaining the compensation to which you are entitled is too important not to have a seasoned head injury attorney representing you.
How can I afford legal representation?
Most reputable head injury attorneys work on contingency, which means that you won’t owe anything until your claim is finalized. At that time, you’ll pay a prearranged percentage of your settlement or court award.