When Full Coverage Isn’t Full Coverage

Posted on

So, you’re driving your brand-new car after a heavy rain storm has rolled through. You make a sharp turn and end up sliding across the road due to an oil slick and smash into a barrier. Now it’s time to call a tow truck and get a rental because your car might be in the shop for a while. Luckily you have full coverage insurance…right?

According to the Department of Motor Vehicles, the term “full coverage” does not actually mean full coverage. This term refers to the combination of collision and comprehensive. Collision insurance covers the damage to your and comprehensive car insurance pays for damage to your vehicle caused by covered events such as theft, vandalism or weather relate damage not related to an accident. Having a full coverage auto insurance policy doesn’t necessarily mean that you have full protection for every situation. When you select a full coverage insurance plan, your policy will automatically be set to the lowest amount required, which varies from state to state. In certain circumstances, it could even mean you don’t even have decent enough protection. It’s important to not rely on the generic “full coverage” policy and ask yourself what coverage best meet your needs. At One Law Group in Beverly Hills, we want you to realize that even if you don’t have the coverage you need when you are involved in an accident, you should always be prepared for the worse. We’re here to answer any questions you might have regarding policy coverage.

There are many thing insurance covers that you should add to your policy if you are looking for a more comprehensive policy:

  • Uninsured motorist protection– This coverage helps you cover your costs if you get hit by a driver with no insurance.
  • Under-insured motorist protection – This coverage helps pay your costs if the other driver has insufficient insurance coverage and/or coverage limits.
  • Medical payments coverage – This coverage to pay for your medical costs after a car accident, even if you were at fault.
  • Rental reimbursement– This coverage can cover your rental costs while you wait for your car to be repaired.
  • Emergency road service – With this coverage, you can use it if your car breaks down on the road and you need towing or labor to get your car moved.
  • Customized parts and equipment –This coverage will help you with the cost of damages to your custom parts if you have added enhancements to your vehicle with expensive equipment.
  • Gap insurance– With this coverage, if your car is ever totaled in an accident, it helps pay the off the balance on the amount you owe on the car and it’s estimated actual cash value.

(this list was compiled from information found on https://www.dmv.org)

Contact the car accident injury specialists at One Law Group in Beverly Hills at (844) 626-1529 if you have any questions about what your insurance covers, especially if you’ve been involved in an accident.

Get Help Now

(310) 273-2733

Either call us today or fill out the form below to speak with a lawyer about your case.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
100% Secure and Confidential